Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life is Peachy!

For Father's Day, the plan was to grill peaches to go with the rest of the lunch my sisters and I had prepared. There was one problem that stood in our way. The peaches I had bought the day before were just not quite ripe enough that they pulled away from their pits as easily as we had hoped. So at my house this past week, we had more peaches than we knew what to do with. Luckily Martha Stewart helped me out. The latest issue (July 2010) of Martha Stewart Living had a few peach recipes in it and while I was home with my son on Thursday, I decided to attempt one while he was napping.

Since the temps have been in the 90's lately, my choice was a no brainer. Peach Granita. (Basically a peach icee.) What could be better on a hot summer day?


Peach Granita


1 ½ lbs ripe peaches (peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped)
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar (more may be needed if your peaches aren’t very sweet)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon course salt
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil (optional)

Purée peaches, water, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a blender; add more sugar to taste. Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish. Freeze for 2 ½ hours, scraping with a fork every hour (mixture should be icy and fluffy) Stir in basil.



1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I request one of these please.

    ReplyDelete